Fire chief recounting over 30 years fighting fires and conducting search and rescues in Alaska

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

from "Expanding Political Power"
So a bunch of us met for breakfast Sunday morning before we had to catch our flights out of there and discussed this. State Fire Service Training’s Tom Take said he had a friend in the Cowper “camp” – an Anchorage
firefighter named Jim Sellers. I suggested that Tom call Sellers and tell him how disappointed the fire service was that Cowper didn’t care to discuss our concerns with us. I instructed, “Imply that we are sitting on 5,000 votes (that’s how many firefighters there are in Alaska).” Gaylen Brevick, president of the Alaska State Firefighters Association (ASFA) was there and I asked if it were okay for me to speak on behalf of them as well. He said okay, then we discussed what I would say if Cowper contacted me.